One of the easiest and cost-effective ways to add new life to an outdated kitchen is to replace the benchtops. Your choice of benchtop will depend on your existing kitchen cabinets and surrounding environment. In other words; you’ve got to work with what you’ve got! You might want to change your existing colour scheme by using a contrasting benchtop.
Laminate benchtops come in varying sizes and profiles depending on the colour selected. They're also available in a range of gloss and matt finishes. Many people are choosing laminate benchtops over stone because of how easy they are to install. This makes them the perfect option for any DIYer! You also now have the option of choosing from benchtops made to look exactly like the designer stone surfaces on the market. If it's something earthy you're after then try a textured timber laminate benchtop.
Timber and bamboo
Natural timber and bamboo benchtops are a great way to add warmth into your kitchen space. They also neutralise your space by livening up your kitchen with their raw tones. Timber and bamboo can be worked into a number of kitchen styles ranging from country to contemporary.
How to measure your benchtop space
- Check your cabinets are level and square by placing a spirit level on top of your base cabinets. If not, adjust your cabinets before proceeding.
- Measure the length of your kitchen remembering to include all filler and end panels. It is best to start from a wall and measure outwards. Add 20mm for the overhang or 30mm for any safety corners used.
- Measure the depth of your kitchen from the back of the wall to the front of the doors/drawers.
How to measure for waterfall ends
- Measure from the top of the cabinet to the floor as this is where your waterfall end will sit. Bear in mind to take any uneven floors into consideration throughout the measuring process.
- Make sure the top of your benchtop overhangs past your cabinets to allow for the waterfall end.
- Take 1-2mm off your waterfall end measurement to accommodate a tighter fit.
- When using a laminate benchtop, make sure you order your waterfall end with edging around all sides. This includes the bottom of the piece for moisture protection.